The Algoma Pierhead Light sits outside the Algoma, Wisconsin harbor, once home to one of the largest commercial fishing fleet on Lake Michigan. The original wooden beacon was demolished and replaced with this cast iron cylindrical tower in 1908 and featured a Fifth Order Fresnel lens. Originally standing twenty-six feet high, the light was raised to increase visibility of the light. This was accomplished by adding a twelve-foot tall cylindrical steel base in 1932 and lifting the original 1908 tower on top increasing the overall height to forty-two feet. Since the access pier was frequently battered by waves over its surface, a cast-iron cat walk was installed so the light keeper could safely access the lighthouse during inclement weather.
In this scene, taken on a bitter cold February afternoon, cold air was blowing east across the land and out onto Lake Michigan. Because the waters of Lake Michigan were warmer than the land air, dramatic surface clouds were forming all along the lakeshore. With the sun providing light from the side against the lighthouse and clouds, this scene unfolded as a light mist blew across the warmer waters of Lake Michigan.
December 20th, 2011
Viewed 4,110 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 09/20/2023 at 11:41 PM